Reset Aerohive AP via SSH
View Comments Archive
After struggling to understand why 3 APs that were dormant to be used as cold spares weren't checking in with the client's HMOL, I finally Spoke with a Tech who guided me through the process of manually directing the APs to the correct server.
- First download putty (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html)
- You can usually find the APs in your dhcp server because the last few digits of the MAC will be after the underscore in the hostname
- Start an ssh session to the AP via the ip (Username: admin Password: aerohive)
- Type in “reset config”
- Clear any previous hivemanager settings via running: no hivemanager
- Then run: hivemanager [insert hive manager domain name as seen in address bar when you login to HMOL] primary
*example: hivemanager hm-useast51-25.aerohive.com primary
- Then run: show capwap client
- verify that "hive manager primary name" lists the domain name you just typed and that the "CAPWAP server ip" resolves to an ip
- keep running the above command until the "run state" displays "connected securely to the CAPWAP server"
- Now we need to set the Virtual Hive Manager Name manually
- According to the tech the "vhm" is the name of the hive manager account and the following command IS case sensitive.
*in my case the command was: capwap client vhm ClientSiteName
- The tech said there is not an easy way to find this VHM name but I saw this name when you click "myhive" once you're logged in and in the top right it says "welcome ClientSiteName"
If this guide helped you out, feel free to share a link or buy me a beer/coffee below :-)
I don't make money from this site and I don't have any intention of monetizing. Thanks to a few kind souls who recently made a few generous donations, I was motivated to migrate this site to github. I'm hoping things
will continue to function as well as it did on Weebly but web development is not my expertise so I'm learning as I go. If you'd like to encourage further development or just say thanks, I've provided a donation link below. Thanks again